AIM Independent Living Center, a non-profit community based organization for persons with disabilities, is currently seeking an Advocate in our Corning, NY headquarters.
AIM advocates assist persons with disabilities (all ages/all disabilities) in: achieving their personal goals and greatest level of independence by providing education, advocacy and information and referral; identifying, accessing, and/or advocating for services and supports at local, state and federal levels – including the areas of employment, housing, education, ADA, Social Security benefits, etc…
Advocates are also required to report into AIM’s database on a regular and contemporaneous basis. All work must be thoroughly and accurately documented in paper and electronic files.
Travel – this position will primarily serve Chemung, Steuben and Schuyler Counties.
· Respect and support the self-directed decisions of consumers
· Collaborate with all community stakeholders to meet the needs of individuals with disabilities
· Support the philosophy that individuals with disabilities have the right to make their own choices and have their own dreams; to take their own risks and experience failure and success
· Provide service and support to persons with disabilities, with a focus on coordinating efforts to support persons living with a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – including the running of a support group specific to TBI.
· HS diploma with at least 5 years of comparable, disability-related experience
· Dependable vehicle
· Strong computer skills – MS Office and MS Outlook; internet research
· Strong communication skills to include the ability to provide information in alternate format to individuals of varying cognitive ability
· Strong knowledge of community based resources and committees
Send resumé with salary history, 3 professional references, and writing sample of how disability has impacted your life by March 9, 2012. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. EOE. No phone calls please. Send application package to:
AIM Independent Living Center
Attention: Executive Director
271 East First Street
Corning, NY 14830