Purpose: To provide a summary of public transit-human services transportation coordination efforts in Steuben County and to provide the outline for future efforts to improve coordination.
Complies with the FTA SAFETEA-LU mandate – Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Act – A Legacy for Users (August 10th, 2005 – President George W. Bush signed the SAFETEA-LU providing $286.4 billion in guaranteed funding for federal surface transportation programs over five years through 2009, including $52.6 billion for federal transit programs.
The original plan was written in 2007 as a result of the Schuyler-Steuben Rural Transportation Needs Study of 2002. Jim Arey wrote the plan and the 2009 update. An update is required every 4 years. Any grant (section 5310 – Elderly Individuals and Persons with Disabilities, section 5316 Job Access and Reverse Commute and section 5317 – New Freedom), written to NYSDOT needs to be written into the plan. Any time we ask for funding, it needs to be in the plan.
· Improve the delivery of transportation services for the target population
· Generate efficiencies in operation that can lead to increased levels of service
· Encourage cooperation and coordination among transportation providers
· Provide a framework for project development and the allocation of financial resources
1. Plan update outlines accomplishments, resource list - Inventory of services and providers, identifies unmet need, and training needs.
2. Build the effectiveness of the Steuben County Coordinated Transportation Advisory Committee through team-building, effective communication and facilitation, planning and resource development.
3. Enhance the ability of transportation providers to develop transportation solutions in Steuben County through the analysis of key assessments and unmet need data.
4. Build the base of support for volunteer driver service recruitment and retention and for public driver safety and training.
5. Develop marketing and outreach strategies to continue promotion of a Single Point of Contact for transportation information and referral.
6. Develop transportation enhancement through technology development and management.