Salary: $20.00 -$23.00/hour to commensurate with experience
Reporting Relationship: Reports directly to the Operation Manager
General Summary of Duties: This is a full-time paid position with the Institute for Human Services, Inc. This position is located in Corning, NY. The Community Health Worker is responsible to provide outreach to engage identified individuals from, rural, county specific populations to efficiently access health related services including prescription medication, vision/dental services, financial assistance, health literacy/insurance, transportation, healthy foods, housing, and self-advocacy. The Community Health Worker is also responsible for identifying the level of need, which can range from one time information and assistance to longer term case management for individuals with chronic physical and/or behavioral health conditions as well as refer and facilitate participation in chronic disease case/self-management, care coordination and/or health education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct and document in-person home/office visits, telephonic and mail outreach to assigned clients.
- Pre-screen rural individuals and family members for income and support program eligibility requirements. Complete intakes and screening forms. Assess individuals for readiness, motivation, and confidence in becoming their own health advocate. Monitor client successes and assist with challenges as needed.
- Apply cultural competence and strength-based approach to consumer/provider engagement. Utilize a patient-centered approach and evidence-based interventions to support holistic health and well-being.
- Utilize key concepts and refer to evidence-based interventions (motivational interviewing, Coaching for Activation, Chronic Disease Self-Management Programs, Care Transitions Model).
- Complete follow-up calls to ensure that connection to or utilization of referred services has occurred.
- Increase client knowledge of health care insurance coverage, renewal process, and health literacy.
- Advise individuals on establishing and utilizing preferred health care provider established patient portals as provider/family communication and health care record management tools.
- Support the use of primary care and virtual visits including preventative screenings.
- Ensure timely, consistent data entry/retrieval including client caseload and case notes utilizing electronic health records. Submit timely and accurate data input, records, reports, and evaluations.
- Ensure confidentiality of all client information consistent with HIPAA regulations, IHS policies, and primary healthcare site policies. Obtain consents as required by law and policies.
- Serve as a member of the IHS team and seek ways to continuously improve and support the work of IHS. Identify and initiate effective ways to support, integrate and/or apply all IHS services to provide the maximum benefit to those served.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills, poverty informed, strong organizational skills, professionalism, attention to detail and quality of service, ability to follow specific protocols and procedures, ability to establish priorities and work in a fast paced, multidisciplinary, environment, skill in identifying and resolving problems, ability to identify community needs and resources as they relate to human services programs and services, knowledge of computer systems, internet and software applications, skill in exercising initiative, judgment, discretion and decision-making to achieve programmatic objectives, ability to work collaboratively as a member of multidisciplinary a team and work independently as needed, geographic knowledge of Steuben and Chemung Counties.
Qualifications: Associate degree required, bachelor’s degree preferred, in health, human services, education, or related field with at least four years’ experience in case management, project management, data entry, and support.
Bachelor’s degree in business, human services, education, or related field preferred with at least two years’ experience in case management, project management, data entry, and support.
Valid driver’s license, ability to pass a background check, and access to a reliable vehicle for work related travel.
Additional Requirements: Work schedule is in person 8:00am – 5:00pm (40 hours/week), Monday through Friday. Additional weekend and evening work may be necessary for special events. Must be willing to travel, including air. A valid NYS driver’s license, clean driving record, and operable vehicle are essential for travel to other sites for meetings and events.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by May 30, 2023.
Click here to view/download full job description.