- This event has passed.
Survivors’ Journey | You Matter Too
January 15, 2021 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sponsored by: Steuben County Suicide Prevention Coalition and Steuben County Mental Health
Our supportive group discussion is for those who have had a loss of a loved one, friend, co-worker or client to suicide, as well as those attending as support persons to those who have experienced a suicide loss. Below you will find our group guidelines as we believe this will help to foster a safe environment for individuals to share their experiences.
1. Because confidentiality is so important, we do ask that each person respect and maintain the confidentiality of others. Counselors who have had clients die by suicide have an obligation to honor the confidentiality of these clients in accordance with legal and agency or setting requirements.
2. We practice acceptance of others. This is a safe space for survivors to share their feelings of anger, fear, guilt, shame, sadness, etc., without fear of judgment or criticism. We ask that respect be shown for life circumstances such as religion, sexual orientation, ethnic background, etc.
3. Our time is limited. We do ask that each person be respectful of the time we have and allow others an opportunity to share as well.
4. We have support persons available as part of our care team indicated by the word ‘care team’ next to the person’s name on Zoom. If you need to leave the group discussion for any reason, please use the chat feature to send a direct message to a member of the care team to let us know that you are okay. If no message is shared or if you indicate that you are not okay, a member of the care team will follow-up with you individually.
5. Please be courteous to fellow attendees by arriving on time and unless you’re expecting an emergency call, we ask that you turn off your cell phones and if you need to take a call, please select mute, and step away to do so.
6. Everyone’s presence is appreciated and can be a source of healing for others. No one is required to speak during the meeting. Listening is a gift, too.
7. We ask that everyone make every effort not to compare the importance or intensity of your struggles with those of someone else. There are no right or wrong comments or feelings to express about one’s own situation; we hope you’ll find this a safe haven for sharing.
First & Last Name:
Name of the individual(s) lost to suicide (optional):
Relationship of the individual(s) lost to suicide(optional):
Length of time since the loss by suicide(optional):
☐ By clicking here, I acknowledge and agree to the above rules and expectations.