Drawing Families Together
Healthy Families Steuben is part of a statewide initiative, Healthy Families New York, through the New York State Office of Children and Family Services. It is a voluntary program that offers support and education to expectant and new parents in Steuben County. Families are offered long-term home visiting services from Healthy Families Steuben until the child is ready for school. Healthy Families Steuben is an accredited site of a nationwide initiative entitled Healthy Families America. Healthy Families is provided locally through Catholic Charities of Steuben County and the Institute for Human Services, Inc.
The goals of Healthy Families
- Promote positive parenting skills and parent-child interaction
- Ensure optimal prenatal care, birth outcomes, and child health and development
- Improve family functioning, thereby increasing self-sufficiency.
- Provide support and information to expectant or new parents.
- Improve families’ social support systems by developing their ability to access and utilize needed community resources.