Mobility Management is a strategic approach for managing and delivering coordinated transportation services. It emphasizes leveraging the services of multiple transportation providers, making visible improvements to the effectiveness, efficiency, and quality of all transportation services being delivered. Rural mobility management includes:
- Coordinating service promotion and marketing to improve public awareness of available transportation
- Providing a single point of contact for transportation services through 2-1-1 HELPLINE
- Bringing public and private sectors together in planning by facilitating the Steuben Coordinated Transportation Advisory Committee, chaired by the Steuben County Mobility Manager
- Accessing additional transportation resources
- Steuben County Mobility Manager can provide travel training. If you or your organization is interested in scheduling a training, click here to complete a form.
Travel Training is a FREE program offered through Steuben County Mobility Management. This program is designed for anyone who needs guidance on learning how to navigate the bus system. It provides the assisTravel Training that can be group focused or individualized. If interested in learning more or to become trained, CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.
Connections for Solutions
In rural areas, no one service can meet all needs. Mobility management combines multiple providers and volunteers together to provide comprehensive travel resources for the residents of Steuben County. IHS leads the Steuben Coordinated Transportation program and has formed the SCT Advisory Committee. Transportation providers include public transit systems, nonprofit and consumer-specific services, volunteer programs, and private & for-profit transportation planners, funders, and consumers.
In rural Steuben County, transportation is a top issue, especially for older adults, low-income individuals and those with disabilities. Public transportation comes from scattered providers reaching only the most populous areas. Human service agencies and volunteer driver programs try to reach the rest.
In 2007, the Steuben Coordinated Transportation committee of public and private transportation providers and key stakeholders chose to work with IHS to organize Mobility Management for improving transportation access and coordinating the myriad local providers. Federal funds that support coordination helped create a mobility management service to assist both the public and providers themselves.
For more information, contact the Steuben County Mobility Manager, at 607.776.9467 ext. 223.