Reporting Relationship: Reports directly to the RSVP Coordinator
Starting Salary: $15.00 hourly
General Summary of Duties:This is a part-time 20 hours weekly, paid position with the Institute for Human Services, Inc. (IHS), a nonprofit organization located in Bath, N.Y. This position is contracted to work with the Steuben County Office for the Aging and is assigned to the Bath Office but serving clients throughout the county.
The Van Driver is a member of the OFA/RSVP team, assisting with grocery shopping transportation services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: As part of their regular duties, the Aging Well Planner will spearhead the implementation of the several programs, listed below:
- Develop driving routes in various areas of the county to transport seniors to the grocery store(s) with input from the Coordinator, RSVP and Aging Well Planner.
- Schedule and transport designated consumers in county vehicle to various communities for the purpose of grocery shopping. Makes contact with consumers to confirm ride times, destination, and ascertain any required pre-transportation information.
- Create and maintain records to track riders and units of service.
- Coordinate with various agencies (Steuben Coordinated Transportation, Faith in Action, DSS, etc.) to fill van vacancies on all routes, if possible.
- Assist Aging Well Planner in the promotion of the program.
- Coordinate the use of additional volunteers to assist riders in shopping and storage/delivery of groceries, if needed.
- Ensure that any problems or incidents, including traffic incidents or accidents, travel concerns such as roads or driveways in poor condition, weather related conditions or mechanical issues with the van are immediately reported to the Coordinator, RSVP. Monitors and schedules routine maintenance with appropriate Steuben County Department.
- Report any problems or concerns with customers to the Coordinator, RSVP. Report any falls, injuries or incidents with customers to the Coordinator, RSVP. Call 911 in the event of an emergency and then contact the Coordinator, RSVP. Work with supervisor to complete required incident reporting paperwork.
- Assist consumers with getting in and out of vehicles. Driver may let a rider hold onto his/her arm to assist them in entering and exiting the van, but should not lift or transfer riders into the van. If the customer is not able to assist themselves please call the Coordinator, RSVP so that the passenger, social workers or family of passenger can arrange to have an aide or assistant accompany them to provide assistance.
- Driver may assist with loading groceries into the van and/or carrying groceries into a consumer’s home, on request. Lift consumer’s groceries or other bags, up to 25 pounds per bag, into and out of van. If a consumer exceeds the allotted time for a shopping location, the driver may retrieve them from the store.
- Gather feedback from customers for services provided.
- Refer customers needing additional services, information or assistance to the Steuben County NY Connects program.
- The strictest level of confidentiality must be maintained.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Desired Skills: The Van Driver must have internet, computer hardware and software experience; excellent communication, as well as strong interpersonal, time management and organizational skills; and an ability to work independently.
The successful candidate should be able to read and interpret general professional materials and program guidance and possess an ability to write reports and business correspondence; and develop rapport and effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers and the general public. A commitment to professional development and customer service is necessary.
The job duties may require the successful candidate to stand; walk; sit; use hands; stoop, kneel, and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To Apply: Please submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 21, 2023.