Reports directly to the 2-1-1 HELPLINE Contact Center Manager
General Summary of Duties:
This is a full-time, paid position for the Institute for Human Services, Inc. (IHS), a nonprofit organization located in Bath, NY. The Community Information and Resource Specialist is responsible for providing information and referrals to individuals wanting to connect to services, after an assessment by telephone or text message to determine the type of need(s). The position also requires scheduling appointments for health insurance and other services. The position assists in identifying new or updated resources to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the 2-1-1 HELPLINE resource database. 2-1-1 HELPLINE handles calls, text messages, webchats, appointments, and resources using various software products. The position may also cross-train in other departments at the Institute.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answer incoming calls, web chat, or text messages. Assess caller’s needs and make accurate referrals to appropriate agencies, programs and services, and/or schedule appointments for agency programs
- Provide crisis intervention to callers if appropriate, according to established protocols
- Advocate for individuals having trouble or lacking the ability needed to make effective contact with agencies, programs, and services
- Accurately record transaction information on all caller contacts
- Attend staff meetings, on-site trainings, conferences, and workshops to improve professional skills
- Obtain AIRS certification as Information & Resource Specialist when eligible to do so
- Stay informed on broad social issues and changes that impact human services in the community and contribute to others’ understanding of program changes
- Collect, edit, and organize agency and other information in the 2-1-1 HELPLINE database
- Work toward achieving program quality assurance goals, including follow up calls
- Represent 2-1-1 HELPLINE effectively to agencies and groups both on the telephone and in person
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Skills:
The position requires strong interpersonal skills and positive attitude, ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team, follow specific protocols and procedures, problem-solve, multi-task, confidentially handle crisis situations, and identify community needs and resources as they relate to human services program and services. Knowledge of computer systems, internet and software applications, including Microsoft Word and Excel are essential to this position
High school diploma, Associates Degree preferred and experience in information and referral, human service, social work, communications, customer service or related field.
Work Schedule will vary between 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday, 37.5 hours per week. Position also requires an on-call shift rotation.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by November 5, 2021.