CATHOLIC CHARITIES OF STEUBEN/LIVINGSTON COUNTY POSITION DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Family Support Specialist
Department: Healthy Families Steuben
W/C# 8857 Social Worker
EEO Code: 9
Grade Level: 25
The Family Support Specialist is responsible for initiating and maintaining regular and long-term contact with families for the purpose of strengthening the parent-child relationship; enhancing parenting skills; providing child development education and activities to encourage development as well as offering support in the areas of goal setting, community connections, and family functioning to aid in reducing the family and its members’ overall vulnerability and susceptibility to stress.
- Establishes a trusting relationship with families by initiating and maintaining regular contact through home visiting.
- Familiarizes self with parent-child interaction and child development materials and activities.
- Applies basic advocacy and support skills to foster self-sufficiency and a healthy interdependence with the community in families.
- Familiarizes self with the dynamics of child abuse and neglect and demonstrates skill in using this knowledge.
- Seeks and maintains knowledge regarding existing referral sources, sharing this information with families as well as assisting families in the acquisition of such services as appropriate
- Works in collaboration with families to identify strengths and establish goals
- Plans and facilitates regular parent groups/socialization events for families
- Records observation of home visits in an acceptable and timely manner into the HFNY Management Information System.
- Completes all required documentation, reports and HFNY State Forms and enters them into the HFNY Management Information System as required
- Completes Healthy Families Family Support Specialist Core Training, orientation, and subsequent recommended trainings and conferences.
- Participates in Family Support Specialist quality assurance visits with Prevent Child Abuse New York as well as quality assurance visits with HFNY Program Contract Manager as required
- Participates in regular staff meetings and meetings with supervisor.
- Manages assigned caseload and other related duties as assigned by Supervisor.
TITLE OF DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Program Supervisor
Minimum of High School Diploma/GED with experience working with families.
Bachelor’s degree in Human Services or Education field preferred.
- Experience working with families of diverse cultures with the ability to be culturally sensitive, compassionate, and empathetic.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to relate to people with respect for their individual.
- Adheres to all applicable federal and state laws and regulations including, but not limited to, those governing confidentiality, privacy, program, billing and documentation standards. All duties must be performed in accordance with CCDR’s corporate compliance and ethics program.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize duties.
- Willingness to foster agency, department and program wide cooperation and team work through use of positive/constructive communication techniques.
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality in regards to all records reviewed including consumer records, employee records and billing records.
- Proficiency and experience with PC’s and Microsoft applications.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and to handle problem resolution.
- Possession of a valid NYS Driver’s license and a driver’s record considered acceptable by agency and insurance carrier.
- Continuous use of a reliable, registered and insured vehicle.
- Demonstrate commitment to Agency Mission Statement.
- Provide effective, equitable, understandable and respectful quality care and services that are responsive to diverse cultural health beliefs and practices, preferred languages, health literacy and other communication needs.
Ability to meet the following physical requirements with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Use hands to manipulate, handle, feel, and control items or equipment, including motor vehicle;
- Stand, sit, walk, bend, stoop, kneel, and reach;
- Climb up or down stairs;
- Able to reach above or below shoulders;
- Occasionally lift or move objects weighing up to 10 lbs;
- Sitting at a desk or in a vehicle for long periods of time to perform certain job functions;
- Be able to read write and interpret written documents;
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
- This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
I have received and read a copy of this job description.