Director of Finance and Administration
The Director of Finance and Administration is charged with ensuring the internal operations of United Way of the Southern Tier (UWST) are in the best position possible to support the attainment of the vision and mission of UWST, the fulfillment of relevant strategic plans and the achievement of formal and tangible annual and multi-year objectives.
Chief among these objectives are: ensuring the establishment of clear and concise human service outcomes; generating the financial resources necessary to achieve the desired outcomes; and ensuring all decision-making and operational processes are of the highest credibility and efficiency.
The UWST Director of Finance and Administration position is charged with: the management of all financial operations and processes; human resource management including support to hiring processes and decisions; contract approval and adherence; and the assessment of internal and external processes for the purpose of identifying and ensuring greater efficiencies and productivity.
Fulfillment of these roles requires a high degree of process proficiency, attention to detail and protocol, knowledge and adherence to related calendars and deadlines, and the ability to foster trust and commitment of all staff via constructive and positive engagement.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Education: Bachelor’s in Accounting degree; CPA preferred.
Experience: Five-plus years of highly credible non-profit or business office management/leadership or similar United Way experience and responsibility; success at fostering trust and loyalty of staff and administrative team members; proactive and effective communication skills; applied customer-centric relationship and problem solving skills; ability to effectively engage and build loyalty and commitment from assigned volunteers.
Working conditions: At least 90% of the time will be office-based.
Technical Experience: Proficient and relevant knowledge of project and office management protocols with intense focus on finance and customer relationship management systems. Knowledge of state-of-the-art office hardware and software programs.
United Way of the Southern Tier’s mission is to unite and prioritize resources to improve the quality of life for every person and family in our community, which encompasses Chemung and Steuben counties in New York State.
We support a culture of teamwork by:
• Focusing on our mission and our many donors and key stakeholders;
• Arriving on time, accepting tasks for the good of all;
• Cooperating with leaders, supporting and helping others in their work;
• Thinking positive and giving positive suggestions;
• Treating others the way we’d like to be treated;
• Being pro-active in solving problems.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
60% Finance requirements and process management, including Finance Committee.
15% Human resource processes and dynamics, including ad hoc committee(s)
15% Office hardware and technical system proficiency and use
10% Management of staff and related task assignments.
Related aptitudes and functions:
A. Ability to constructively advance a stakeholder-centric office, productivity, and culture.
B. The disciplined ability to harvest stakeholder input to drive organization decisions.
C. Commit to engagement that ensures high credibility of the Director of Finance and Administration and UWST.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.