Position Title: Registered Nurse Public Health Collaboration
Reports direct day-to-day supervision from supervisor at Steuben County Public Health
Receives supervision and support from the Vice President of Educational and Contracted Services of Pathways, Inc.
General Summary of Duties:
The work involves responsibility for the performance of skilled nursing activities with individuals and families in accordance with the planned program of the Steuben County Public Health. The work is carried out in accordance with standard, modern, well-established and accepted professional skilled nursing practices. The incumbent is responsible for assessment of health needs and knowledge of principles, practices, terminology, disease epidemiology, and disease prevention. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director, Assistant Director or Public Health Coordinator, with leeway allowed the incumbent for the exercise of independent judgment in the carrying out of assignments as long as the agreed-upon plans and standard practices and procedures are followed. Assignments made to employees in this class require access to transportation to meet field work requirements made in the ordinary course of business in a timely and efficient manner. Does related work as required.
Essential Responsibilities of the Position:
- Completes rabies investigations, provides guidance, and ensures compliance of NYS law to protect humans and animals from rabies;
- Completes communicable disease investigations and provides education to patients regarding disease and decreasing the spread of disease within the community;
- Provides skilled nursing care and assessment to newborns and their mothers in their homes and to patients/clients and referral sources;
- Provides community education regarding injury prevention, lead poisoning, and second-hand smoke exposure;
- Counsels and guides individuals and families towards self-help in recognition and solution of physical, emotional, and environmental health problems;
- Provides skilled nursing services in clinics including immunizations for STD’s and HIV;
- Teaches classes, addresses groups, and participates in community planning related to nursing and public health;
- Participates in the conduct of surveys and studies related to health matters;
- Compiles and uses records, reports, and statistical information for evaluation and planning of the assigned programs;
- May provide for the continuity of patient care by promoting referrals of newborns and their mothers and clinic patients to appropriate community agencies;
- Acts as a resource to physicians, nurses, and schools regarding immunization guidance and communicable disease prevention and control; and
- Other related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
Typical Working Conditions:
Exposure Catergory #1 (OSHA Blood borne Pathogens)
Typical Physical Demands:
Commensurate with the demands of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of current, modern, skilled public health nursing practices;
- Working knowledge of the administrative organization of community facilities;
- Skill in the application of current nursing procedures and techniques of patient care;
- Working knowledge of the NYS Health Commerce System;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships;
- Ability to accept and utilize guidance;
- Ability to perform duties in accordance with ANA Code for Professional Nurses;
- Good judgment;
- Effective observation;
- Ready access to transportation to meet field work requirements;
- Willingness to work evenings and on weekends as needed;
- Ability to prioritize;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to be both sensitive and respectful when educating or caring for a culturally diverse population
Graduation from a regionally-accredited or New York State registered college or university with
(a) a bachelor’s degree in Nursing, or
(b) an associate’s degree in Nursing and one year of full time or equivalent part time experience in health care; or
(c) a Nursing diploma from a 3-year hospital based program and two years of full time or equivalent part time experience in health care.
Possession of a currently valid license to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State is required for appointment and as a condition of continued employment.
I have read this job description and understand the responsibilities as stated and have received a copy.