VOLUNTEER ENGAGEMENT SPECIALIST
Reporting Relationship: Reports directly to the RSVP Coordinator
Starting Salary: $ 16.50 – $17.25 hourly
General Summary of Duties: The Volunteer Engagement Specialist is a full-time, paid position with the Institute for Human Services, Inc. (IHS), a nonprofit organization located in Bath, N.Y. This position is contracted to work with the Steuben County Office for the Aging to serve clients throughout the county. The Volunteer Engagement Specialist is a member of the OFA/AmeriCorps Seniors team, assisting with volunteers’ recruitment and ongoing support. Maintains meticulous records on volunteers, assignments, and stations to maintain data which helps with reporting requirements. Supports and develops new volunteer assignments throughout the community, reflecting the current RSVP project work plan. Assumes leadership in promoting various evidence-based programs to recruit, engage, and supervise volunteers. This leadership role includes obtaining certification to lead or teach specific programs. Participates in the shared activities of the AmeriCorps Seniors and OFA team as requested.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: As part of their regular duties, the Volunteer Engagement Specialist will spearhead the implementation of the volunteer program as listed below:
- Volunteer Engagement and Retention – as part of the AmeriCorps Seniors/OFA team, duties will include assisting with the onboarding and training, planning recognition, program-related training, and other volunteer events. Work with the AmeriCorps Seniors Coordinator and the Aging Well Planner to develop new volunteer opportunities. Support the implementation of volunteer-led evidence-based interventions. Perform data tracking and entry into appropriate databases. Initiate outreach to recruit new volunteers, maintain relationships with current volunteers, and perform other related duties supporting OFA initiatives.
- The work involves assisting the AmeriCorps Seniors Coordinator with the general operation of the program(s) within Steuben County. Primary emphasis is placed on managing older volunteers in assignments organized directly by OFA/AmeriCorps Seniors and by assisting with volunteer placement with other agencies partnered with AmeriCorps Seniors. The interpersonal relationship developed with the volunteers will result in successful assignment matches.
- Monitors the activities of volunteers in assigned locations of the county by e-mail, telephone, and/or home and assignment visits.
- Aids volunteers in the solutions of scheduling, placement, transportation, and assignment problems.
- Assists staff from partnered agencies where AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers serve with assignment promotion, problem-solving, volunteer placement, job description development, and other areas related to volunteer management.
- Assists the Coordinator with planning, database management, record keeping, report preparation, public relations, and overall operation of program/activities related to AmeriCorps Seniors projects.
- Coordinates information for press releases and public service announcements with the AmeriCorps Seniors Coordinator and Aging Well Planner monthly. This task includes developing and distributing monthly volunteer and electronic newsletters.
- Ensures that OFA account-clerical office staff receives necessary ongoing record changes, updates, corrections, and additional information about volunteers and partnered agencies.
- Attends Advisory Council and community agency meetings as directed by the project coordinator.
- Assists with in-house volunteer management responsibilities and other duties related to supporting the program and its sponsoring agency, the Office for the Aging, as assigned.
Special Requirements: Under the Serve America Act (SAA), RSVP must conduct National Service Criminal History checks on employees who receive part or all of their salary from funding provided by the Corporation for National and Community Service. Employment is contingent on the requirements and results of the background checks performed. This position is classified as having reoccurring exposure to vulnerable populations.
Qualifications: Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university with an associate degree in human services, gerontology, health services, or physical or wellness education AND two years of related experience, training, or equivalent combination of relevant education and training is required.
A valid driver’s license, a willingness to travel within Steuben County, and reliable transportation are required. Travel within the county, and occasional travel outside of the area may be required for program and training purposes. The home office is in Bath, NY.
Desired Skills: The Volunteer Engagement Specialist must have internet, computer hardware, and software experience; excellent communication and interpersonal skills; time management and organizational skills; and an ability to work independently. The candidate should have experience in demonstrating compassion, adaptability, and understanding of the needs of the vulnerable population we serve. The successful candidate will be able to adapt to and maximize the use of installed and web-based applications. Due to the marketing nature of the position, knowledge and flexibility in utilizing social media and other tools are strongly preferred.
The successful candidate should be able to read and interpret general professional materials and program guidance, write reports and business correspondence, develop rapport, effectively present information, and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers, and the general public. A commitment to professional development and customer service is necessary.
The job duties may require the successful candidate to stand, walk; sit; use hands; stoop, kneel, and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
To Apply: Please submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 17, 2022.