Want a Run for the Hills t-shirt? sign up SOON!
Tanglewood News June 23, 2021
The t-shirt orders for Run for the Hills are being placed soon. You have ONE WEEK LEFT to sign up for the 5k/10k if you want to guarantee a t-shirt! Register online today (or before July 1st, at least).
- Every Friday, 5:30pm-6pm. Mindfulness and meditation with Ian. Free but donations welcome. Join Ian for a half-hour for meditation in nature, a perfect easy way to end the work week and ground yourself for the weekend. No experience needed; this program is designed for adults, not kids.
- Every Tuesday, 10am-11am. Drop-In Family Program. June 29th is Let’s Explore Outdoors with a Scavenger Hunt! Come up to Tanglewood for fun, hands-on, science exploration on Tuesdays! Each week a new theme: Geocaching, Insect ID, How Tos of Lean Tos, etc. This will be a recurring program, every Tuesday morning from 10am-11am, June through August 17th. These programs are all outdoors.
- Tuesday Yoga resumes June 29th. Every Tuesday, 5:30-6:30 Gentle outdoor yoga with Danyell. Ideal for those new to yoga and focusing on more accessible positions, this gentle and supportive class welcomes individuals and families. Individuals $5/the whole family for $10.
- Saturday July 3rd, 10am-11:30am. First Saturday Program: the great American outdoors hike & animal show. Free. Join us for a hike around the BLUE trail, then meet a RED tailed hawk! Learn about native wildlife and about how beautiful our country’s natural wonders are. Wear red, white, and blue, just for fun!
- Saturday July 24th, starting at 8am. Run for the Hills Trail Race. A family friendly 5k and a more technical 10k. The race will offer wave start times every 10 minutes beginning at 8am and finishing at 8:40am; registration is limited to 25 people per wave. Sign up online! Not a runner but you’d like to help them not get lost in the woods? Volunteer here!
- Saturday August 7th, 11am-12pm. First Saturday Program: birds of a feather. Free. Meet up with Maggie and our amazing birds of prey for an outdoors presentation about birds, flight, and so much more. This is an all-ages program. BYO lawn chair or picnic blanket!
What we’re exploring this week:
- The best science writing of the week, the month, the year. “Muscled bucatini body” – simply exquisite. That’s a moray.
- Cool new water bottle refills itself from the air!
- Have you made it down to see our friends at the Arnot Art Museum yet this summer? Don’t miss out on their exhibit “Walking with Nature: American Landscapes from the Collection” which closes this Saturday.
Be well and hike often. Share your photos and nature stories with us!
If you’re an online shopper, remember, you can always support Tanglewood (at no additional cost to you) by doing your Amazon shopping at smile.amazon.com. Look for us as Tanglewood Community Nature Center, Inc.
Reminder! Dogs are allowed at Personius Woods, but NOT on the trails by the nature center. We are preserving ground-nesting bird habitats and appreciate your cooperation. We encourage you to hike with your dogs along the streams, fields, and forests at Personius