|Winter Wiggles returns this Wednesday! Wednesdays at 10 a.m.: storytime and animal friends with Ian. Kick off the season Wednesday November 6th with our ferret, Hector!
***Only two team spots left!*** Wild Turkeys & Wild Turkey Trivia. Friday November 15th at 7pm. 21+. Bring your friends and wits; we’re providing whiskey tastes, beer, snacks, and – of course – the questions. Topics include: actual wild fowl facts; whisk(e)ys and distilling; Thanksgiving trivia. Cash prize for the winning team! $5 per person, max 6 people on a team, max of 10 teams. Pre-registration is required. This event will sell out! Register today!
Homeschool Drop-in Program: Skeletal Systems and Animal Motion. Tuesday November 26, 10am-11am. This week, we’ll learn about the skeletal structures in different kinds of animals (mammals, reptiles, and birds) and how their different structures change how they move! Look at x-rays and meet the animals behind the bones. We’ll make some connections between our own bones and other animal bodies. $5 for the family if you’re a member of Tanglewood; if you’re not yet a member, $10 for the family. Cash is preferred.
- 11/26 – Skeletal Systems – mammals, reptiles, and birds
- 12/17 – Natural Art for the Holidays – a Make & Take! (not the last Tuesday – adjusted for the holidays!)
- 1/28 – Mad Science Experiments
- 2/25 – Benefits of Play and the Science of Exercise – for humans and pets!
- 3/31 – Climate Change Doesn’t Have to be Scary – easy changes and choices to make at home and school
Join us and our birds at the Elmira Holiday Parade! Friday November 29th. Want to wave from the haywagon next to a hawk and spread holiday cheer? Email volunteer coordinator Bridget to sign up!
Hawk Flight Demo. Saturday December 11th from 11am-12pm. Curator Brie and our birds of prey will teach you about how birds fly, why they are so well adapted to life on the wing, and why Tanglewood has these birds… and then you’ll be able to see our birds demonstrate flight right in front of you! Free. All ages welcome. No registration required.
- The nature center will be closed Thursday 11/28 all day.
- Late opening on Friday 11/29 – join us at the Parade in the morning, then come up to visit the nature center from 12pm-4pm!
- As always… trails are open dawn to dusk, every single day. You can hike, play on the Children’s Trail, and enjoy the treehouse even if the nature center is closed!
Winter Wiggles returns this Wednesday! Wednesdays at 10am: storytime and animal friends with Ian. Kick off the season Wednesday November 6th with our ferret, Hector!
What we’re reading and watching this week:
Want more birdsong in your life? We have feeders, houses, and even some sweet stuffed Audubon birds to cuddle with when it’s rainy outside. Stop by the Nuthatch Gift Shop today to explore!
And if you’re a member, remember that you get a 20% discount!
Reminder! Dogs are allowed at Personius Woods, but NOT on the trails by the nature center. We are preserving ground-nesting bird habitats and appreciate your cooperation. We encourage you to hike with your dogs along the streams, fields, and forests at Personius.