Tanglewood news Nov 27 2019
- The nature center will be closed Thursday 11/28 all day.
- Late opening on Friday 11/29 – join us at the Parade in the morning, then come up to visit the nature center from 12pm-4pm!
Hawk Flight Demo. Saturday December 11th from 11am-12pm. Curator Brie and our birds of prey will teach you about how birds fly, why they are so well adapted to life on the wing, and why Tanglewood has these birds… and then you’ll be able to see our birds demonstrate flight right in front of you! Free. All ages welcome. No registration required.
Homeschool Drop-in Program: Natural Art for the Holidays! Tuesday December 17th, 10am-11am. This week, we’ll be crafting as well as learning about animals and nature! Get creative and be inspired by nature. $5 for the family if you’re a member of Tanglewood; if you’re not yet a member, $10 for the family. Cash is preferred.
- 12/17 – Natural Art for the Holidays – a Make & Take! (not the last Tuesday – adjusted for the holidays!)
- 1/28 – Mad Science Experiments
- 2/25 – Benefits of Play and the Science of Exercise – for humans and pets!
- 3/31 – Climate Change Doesn’t Have to be Scary – easy changes and choices to make at home and school
Winter Wiggles! Wednesdays at 10am: storytime and animal friends with Ian.
What we’re reading and watching this week:
- As insect invaders approach in Maine, researchers use indigenous knowledge and Western forestry science to save a valuable tradition: fancy baskets.
- Parasitic worms force earwigs to drown themselves. Nightmare fuel!
- Cuddle puddles, butt breathers, and winter preppers: a lighthearted roundup of ways that animals survive winter.
We have new t-shirt styles, including kids’ tees, in our Vintage Tanglewood shirt! Online only.
At the nature center, we have other Tanglewood swag like hats and waterbottles, plus the usual sweet stuffed Audubon birds and other cuddlies
. Stop by the Nuthatch Gift Shop today to explore!
And if you’re a member, remember that you get a 20% discount!