Tanglewood News May 26, 2021
The nature center is open!
Our hours are Tuesday-Friday 9am-4pm, and Saturdays 10am-4pm.
Masks are required when inside (exhibit hall, restrooms, etc).
Are you excited for our July 5k/10k trail race?
Sign up to volunteer here! We need a few more folks to be course marshals (keep runners from getting lost) out on the trail, and a few more folks to be at aid stations out on the trail too. Sign up here!
- Every Friday, 5:30pm-6pm. Mindfulness and meditation with Ian. Free but donations welcome. Join Ian for a half-hour for meditation in nature, a perfect easy way to end the work week and ground yourself for the weekend. No experience needed; this program is designed for adults, not kids.
- Tuesday June 1st, 10am-11am. Drop-In Program: Pond Scoops. Come up to Tanglewood for fun, hands-on, science exploration on Tuesdays! Each week a new theme: Geocaching, Insect ID, How Tos of Lean Tos, etc. This will be a recurring program, every Tuesday morning from 10am-11am, June through August 17th. These programs are all outdoors.
- Saturday June 5th, 10am-11am. First Saturday Program: invasive species hike. Free. Bridget will lead a hike around the Yellow Trail and talk about the current situation in our region – what plants and animals are causing us trouble? What should we do if we find them?
- Every Tuesday, 5:30-6:30, starting on June 8th. Gentle outdoor yoga with Danyell. Ideal for those new to yoga and focusing on more accessible positions, this gentle and supportive class welcomes individuals and families. Individuals $5/the whole family for $10.
- Saturday July 3rd, 10am-11:30am. First Saturday Program: the great American outdoors hike & animal show. Free. Join Tyler for a hike around the BLUE trail, then meet a RED tailed hawk! Learn about native wildlife and about how beautiful our country’s natural wonders are. Wear red, white, and blue, just for fun!
- Saturday July 24th, starting at 8am. Run for the Hills Trail Race. A family friendly 5k and a more technical 10k. The race will offer wave start times every 10 minutes beginning at 8am and finishing at 8:40am; registration is limited to 25 people per wave. Sign up online!
- Saturday August 7th, 11am-12pm. First Saturday Program: birds of a feather. Free. Meet up with Maggie and our amazing birds of prey for an outdoors presentation about birds, flight, and so much more. This is an all-ages program. BYO lawn chair or picnic blanket!
What we’re reading this week:
- There is a very cool state park in Arkansas that lets you dig for actual diamonds. And actually keep them. For $10! Geology AND potential profit, what could be more fun for summer than that.
- Looks like offshore wind on both coasts, now.
- Save the date for our friends at EOP and their Juneteenth celebration on June 19th 2021! Artists, history, music, cultural awareness, food and games!
Be well and hike often. Share your photos and nature stories with us!
If you’re an online shopper, remember, you can always support Tanglewood (at no additional cost to you) by doing your Amazon shopping at smile.amazon.com. Look for us as Tanglewood Community Nature Center, Inc.
Reminder! Dogs are allowed at Personius Woods, but NOT on the trails by the nature center. We are preserving ground-nesting bird habitats and appreciate your cooperation. We encourage you to hike with your dogs along the streams, fields, and forests at Personius.