UNITED WAY OF THE SOUTHERN TIER AWARDS 8 GRANTS FOR DISTANCE LEARNING SPACES
CORNING –United Way of the Southern Tier’s Board of Directors today approved grants to eight programs that will provide supervised distance learning spaces for school-age children in Chemung and Steuben counties.
“While the pandemic has changed the face of education delivery, school attendance remains a key to student success, and these programs are providing a critical service for working families by offering more than 325children a safe, supervised place to learn when class is virtual, “said Stephen M. Hughes, president and CEO of United Way of the Southern Tier.
Programs in Bath, Corning, Elmira and Hornell received grant awards that are funded by donations to United Way of the Southern Tier. Awards will be used to offset program expenses, such as PPE, internet fees, cleaning productions, rental of alternative space, utilities, and liability insurance.
Programs and award amounts are:
- Bath Community Child Care, sponsored by Catholic Charities of Steuben County, $15,000.
- Laura Houghton Youth Center (Corning), sponsored by Family Service Society, $15,000.
- Hornell Area Youth Center, sponsored by Hornell Area Concern for Youth, $3,000.
- School’s in Session (Elmira), sponsored by Neighborhood Transformation Center, $10,000.
- Youth Development Program (Bath), sponsored by Pro Action of Steuben & Yates, Inc., $15,000.
- Tanglewood Learning Pod (Elmira), sponsored by Tanglewood Nature Center $2,220.
- Kids’ Café’ (Corning), sponsored by Salvation Army of Corning, $10,000.
- School-Age Child Care(Hornell), sponsored by YMCA of Hornell, $7,500.
Families who are seeking information on child care for their school-age children, should call the Chemung County Child Care Council 607-734-3941,or Child Care Aware® of Steuben & Schuyler, 607-776-2126, or 2-1-1, the 2-1-1 Helpline.
ABOUT UNITED WAY OF THE SOUTHERN TIER United Way of the Southern Tier, a Charity Navigator four-star rated non-profit organization, works to unite and prioritize resources to improve the quality of life for every person and every family in our community. United Way of the Southern Tier focuses on human service areas of greatest need within the service area of Chemung and Steuben counties: Southern Tier Kids on Track, Basic Needs, and Senior Supports.