Tanglewood News June 29, 2021
The t-shirt orders for Run for the Hills are being placed soon. Register online today (or before July 1st, at least).
This Saturday we’ve got another work session for the pollinator garden! We need a few more hands to transform the area by Bernice’s stone garden. Adults (or hardy teen ready to work, ages 16+). Starts at 9am. Meet Janet and Brian by the raptor aviaries!
- Every Friday, 5:30pm-6pm. Mindfulness and meditation with Ian. Free but donations welcome. Join Ian for a half-hour for meditation in nature, a perfect easy way to end the work week and ground yourself for the weekend. No experience needed; this program is designed for adults, not kids.
- Every Tuesday, 10am-11am. Drop-In Family Program. July 6th is Geocaching! Come up to Tanglewood for fun, hands-on, science exploration on Tuesdays! Each week a new theme: Geocaching, Insect ID, How Tos of Lean Tos, etc. This will be a recurring program, every Tuesday morning from 10am-11am, June through August 17th. These programs are all outdoors.
- Tuesday Yoga resumes June 29th. Every Tuesday, 5:30-6:30 Gentle outdoor yoga with Danyell. Ideal for those new to yoga and focusing on more accessible positions, this gentle and supportive class welcomes individuals and families. Individuals $5/the whole family for $10.
- Saturday July 3rd, 10am-11:30am. First Saturday Program: the great American outdoors hike & animal show. Free. Join us for a hike around the BLUE trail, then meet a RED tailed hawk! Learn about native wildlife and about how beautiful our country’s natural wonders are. Wear red, white, and blue, just for fun!
- Saturday July 24th, starting at 8am. Run for the Hills Trail Race. A family friendly 5k and a more technical 10k. The race will offer wave start times every 10 minutes beginning at 8am and finishing at 8:40am; registration is limited to 25 people per wave. Sign up online! Not a runner but you’d like to help them not get lost in the woods? Volunteer here!
- Saturday August 7th, 11am-12pm. First Saturday Program: birds of a feather. Free. Meet up with Maggie and our amazing birds of prey for an outdoors presentation about birds, flight, and so much more. This is an all-ages program. BYO lawn chair or picnic blanket!
What we’re exploring this week:
- Merlin Bird ID app now has…. drumroll please… the ability to identify bird calls! Just hold up your phone and record the call and Merlin can suggest matches. Very cool.
- Our friends at Queen City Gems had a good time with our other good pals Friends of the Chemung River! Check out this jazzy video of their kayak adventure.
- Wildlife rehabbers at Wildlife Wishing Well (Ithaca) recommended this app to us – Animal Help Now! (free on google and apple store) can locate a rehabber close to your location. Might be worth adding to your phone.
Be well and hike often. Share your photos and nature stories with us!